Pages

Monday, December 12, 2011

Crickets Behavior Investigation




                 My testable question is, do crickets prefer wet or dry land? My hypothesis is crickets prefer wet and dry land. I believe this because I observed crickets in a environment that was half dry, half wet. What I saw was that the crickets kept going and staying on the wet land. I also know that some species of crickets dig tunnels when the land is wet. Crickets also like dry land because some crickets dig chambers with a wet chamber, dry chamber and exercise chamber. Crickets also have to be in a dry environment because if their in a humid one they can grow a fungus on their bodies. Crickets need both wet and dry land to survive!                                                                                                                      
          I did a lot of things while observing the cricket. First I made a data table to show the crickets movements. I wanted to see if it preferred wet land over dry land. I drew all of its movements and saw it preferred the wet land. That was the first cricket. The second cricket didn't really move at all it just stayed on the wet land. I took took trials for each of them, and in both trials both crickets stayed on the wet side.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
           While I was observing the two crickets I learned that they both preferred the wet side. I also learned some crickets are more active than others. Another thing I learned is that crickets can only survive in dry weather. So it really surprised me that the crickets preferred the wet side. That is all I learned during my observation of the crickets.
Cricket I observed



Data I collected observing the cricket

No comments:

Post a Comment